Having headache and noticed bump on head. Should I be concerned?

Question
I have a bump about the size of a quarter in the 4th quadrant of my head(in the left corner of the quadrant) I don't know how long it's been there because it didn't bother me. I was massaging my scalp one day and noticed it about 6months ago. To the touch it's not sore or tender but I do know it's there. Should I be concerned? Recently I have been having slight headaches on the right side of my face around temple area. What do u think?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 56 minutes later

In view of details provided by you ,it looks this lump is a lipoma.

Lipomas are focal asymptomatic deposition of fat tissue.These are typical symptom-less,they don't generally grow/increase in size or cause symptoms and most are noted by patients incidentally.

You can bring this to notice of your doctor, when visit him/her for some other reason.Most of the doctor can confirm the diagnosis by feeling the lump.Lipomas are soft,mobile and rubbery kind of lumps.

Hope this answers your question.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow-up: Having headache and noticed bump on head. Should I be concerned? 35 minutes later
So with lipoma...are headaches a symptom?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 29 minutes later
Headache is not a symptom of lipoma. In-fact scalp lump should not cause headache.

Headache is likely to be a separate issue unrelated to this lump.

For mild headache you can try oral analgesics.If headache is more of consistent and triggered by few triggers like stress,anxiety,bright light,noise,sleepless night etc, then possibility of migraine would be likely.And in that case migraine treatment needs to be started under supervision of your doctor.

In my view first an attempt to see if regular analgesics can help should be undertaken. Even minor migraine attacks respond to them.

Hope this answers your question.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.