Having headache and loose bowel movements. Diagnosed with IBS. What should be done?

I am having a bout of watery stool, in combination with a headache. I get this once every two months or a day or two. But what bothers me is the smoky smell of the stool. Generally XXXXXX and black in color. Diagnosed ith IBS
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later

The intermittent watery stools in combination with headache can be seen in IBS.

The black coloured stool indicates presence of upper Gastro intestinal bleed.The upper GI blood after passing through the lower GI (part of small Intestines and large intestine) gets converted to black substance and imparts black colour to the stools.
The smoky smell you sense could also be due to the black stools.

Hence , I suggest you to get an Upper gastro intestinal endoscopy to locate the site of bleed and manage accordingly.This though not stop the loose stools or cure IBS but certainly will end the black and smelly stools.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.