Having headache and have normal to low BP. Any suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi, I have a really sore lower head, on the left side. It is as if there is a knife in my head and it also feels tender to the touch. I have had it for a week now and it feels like I have a continual headache, but also this knife like pain. I haven't banged my head. I sometimes get migraines but this is unlike any migraine I have experienced. I have normal to low blood pressure. I am 48 years old, female, and keep relatively fit, running and going to a gym. I don't like going to doctors if it is not needed.
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious disease.

The most likely causes of your symptoms are either tension headache of mild disc prolapse in the neck region.

In tension headache, the muscles at the back of head become tense (go into spasm) and that causes pain. It responds to the usual pain killers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac. If it persists for a long time, one may use amitryptyline.

In disc prolapse, the soft tissue between the vertebral bodies in the neck bulges out and it may press on the adjacent nerves, causing pain. This also settles down with analgesics in a few days. Regular neck exercises are required to prevent any further worsening.

So, I do not think you need to visit a doctor now. You can use analgesics for a few days and see.

Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist