Having headache and bleeding from the nausea. What is causing this?

Everytime I blow my nose, it is mostly blood. I have not had a blood nose, but it is definitely blood that I am blowing out. It is hayfever season here, could that be the problem? I've had a slight, barely noticable headache for a few days, but also extremenely sore ears for the last four days which started as what I thought might be tonsillitis.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Bleeding from the nausea is called epistaxis. Nasal drying is a common cause of nose bleeds. Nasal drying is common in the winter during cold dry weather and in the summer with air-conditioning. If due to nasal drying, nose bleeds can sometimes be prevented by placing KY Jelly in the nose or by using a humidifier in the house.

Other causes are picking of nose, blowing it too hard,trauma to nose,allergies and sometimes bleeding disorders. In your case it can be due to allergies and sinus infection.

When there is epistaxis,hold the nostrils with your fingers or a handkerchief and pinch the lower, soft part of the nose between the thumb and forefinger.The grip should be firm and the pressure on the nose steady. Hold it for exactly 10 minutes. Holding the nose presses directly on the bleeding vein. This stops the bleeding and the blood will then coagulate or thicken into a scab.You can then apply Vaseline on the scab to soften it.

If there is severe bleeding then cautery may be needed.

For sinusitis, the best way to get rid of a stuffy nose is to use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever). But these are to be used for 5-7 days at a time.

You may also nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription.

However the best treatment for stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.