Having hard time urinating. Manic Depression and alcoholism. Having herpes. Due to herpes?

Dec 2013

I have a hard time urinating. Could this be because I just found out I have herpes?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Myself Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.

I can understand the stress of regarding difficulty in urinating. Now according to your query you want to clarify the possible relation of herpes with urinating problem.

Herpes is a viral infection caused by small vesicles and later ulcers over penis and nearby genital areas. It remains for few days only and then heals without much of the problem. Generally in most of the cases this does not cause any problem in urination. But if it causes the problem then can be of various types which I will discuss below.

As per your brief query you have not mentioned about the type of problem in urinating. Een then to guide you, generally we find the problem of two types:

1. Burning and pain sensation in the urethra during urinating.

2. Only difficulty in passing the urine- as retention of urine.

For the first part of the problem the burning and pain sensation in the urethra (the tube taking the urine form the urinary bladder to the exterior) can be related to the infection inside this tube. This infection is known as infections.

In other cases there can be pain and burning over the tip of penis during urinating if there are active lesions of herpes or if there are ulcers over penis are present during active infection.

So probably you got some correlation to the problem you are facing where herpes virus is directly causing problem during urinating.

In other part of herpetic infection it can indirectly affect urination by retention of the urine. Though it is very uncommon but it can be possible in long standing cases where it can cause problem in nerves which controls the urination.

You can very well correlate above of the condition with your problem and accordingly can take further guidance. If there is a problem is of Burning and pain sensation in the urethra during urinating then you can XXXXXXX a specialist of Sexually transmitted diseases or if the problem is related to retention of the urine then you need to XXXXXXX a urologist for treatment and guidance of the same.

As I said previously Herpes virus is very rarely causes problem in urination.

Hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)