Having hard stool. Reasons?

why is my stool hard at the rectal opening? Two days ago it passed perfectly, well formed and ice cream-like texture (perfect?).
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 15 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your history suggests you have constipation which is a common gastrointestinal problem. Don't worry as most cases of constipation are temporary. Simple lifestyle changes, such as getting more exercise, drinking more fluids and eating a high-fiber diet, will provide you relief from constipation.

You may want to try the following at home self-care measures to deal with constipation:

- Limit foods that have little to no fiber, such as cheese, meat and processed food. Eat foods which are XXXXXXX in fiber like fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
- Regular physical exercises will increase your bowel movements.
- Drink plenty of water/fluids.

If you do not get relief from your symptoms after a week-10 days of following the above, it would be best if you consult your treating physician and get yourself assessed thoroughly.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no more follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Having hard stool. Reasons? 17 minutes later
Dr. Tauseef,
I have returned to truck driving and I eat properly while on the road. I have a cooler with plenty of water, 2% milk and tea, but no sodas. This week I prepared a complete salad with baby spinach, onions, broccoli, cheese, pickled eggs and cilantro. I have been treated twice for gerds. I have been doing what I am supposed to, but I am still having stomach problems.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.
a. You need to take atleast 5-6 servings of fruits or vegetables in a day to ensure that you are consuming the right amount of fibre. Adults need about 38 g of fibre in a day and thus you must ensure that you're taking in enough fruits and vegetables to ensure the same.
b. You need to consume atleast 2-3 litres of water in a day.
c. You also need to get some regular physical exercise.
d. If the symptoms persist, try taking Psyllium husk with water. It is available as Metamucil capsules. You can take 2-6 capsules with 8 oz of water.

If you still have symptoms, please consult your treating physician who can evaluate you completely and advise you accordingly.
I hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.