Having hard painless lump on head near ear. How to cure this?

I have a hard painless lump on the side of my head near my left ear which has been there for years; however, I've noticed that it has been growing within the past month (approx. 1.5 inches). What do you think? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 45 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

With only those symptoms, it's hard to say what it is without looking at it or getting few investigations done.

Commonly lumps in this area are due to enlarged lymph nodes, but often they are not hard. But since it has been there for three years possibility of primary cancer seems less likely. If it is not a lymph node is more likely to be a benign growth.

If I were to be your treating doctor I would advise you to get an ultrasonography or Computed tomography (CT) scan of this lesion and then consider a biopsy (fine needle or excision) to determine the true identity of the lump.

Please consider visiting a surgeon nearby and consider the aforementioned clinical evaluation.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are follow up questions.