Having hard bump behind ear. No pain. What can this be?

ENT Specialist
Hi,I have a hard unmovable bump behind my left ear which isn't tender to the touch and I believe is my postauricular lymph node. I noticed it about 8-9 months ago and it hasn't changed in size or feel,I wanted to know if this could be caused from a tooth irritation I've had or if it's something of greater concern? The bump is maybe slightly bigger then a pea. I haven't had a fever,weight loss, or any other symptoms to show I may be sick,to tell you the truth I haven't been sick since I had mono over 14 years ago"Knock on wood". I'm a male 31 years old 6'6" and 180lbs,non smoker,and maybe drink 3-6 times a year. I have also had no real change in my body weight,I've been a slimmer person since a kid with a rather high metabolism. Thanks for your insight,I appreciate your time.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later

Hard unmovable bump behind left ear for 8-9 months ,causing no other problem and considering ears also normal ie not discharging, could be-

1.Enlarged lymph node---These lymph nodes enlarge because of infection or dandruff over the scalp or because of ear infections.

A tooth infection or irritation causing it is less common.

2.Sebaceous cyst --which occurs because of collection of sebum which is normally secreted from skin from glands.

3.There are less chances that it could be enlarged part of parotid salivary gland ,it presents immediately behind the ear.

For differentiation you need to consult ENT specialist.

Take care of scalp and if it does not goes of or enlarges, then you can get it removed and send for histopathological examination.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Having hard bump behind ear. No pain. What can this be? 26 hours later
One last question and I'll leave this matter alone. Do you think it's probable the bump could be a calcified cyst or node? It's very hard unlike a node's normal feel and also unmovable,it's not tender or sore in anyway. Also the bump is smooth in texture,I haven't been sick in over a decade with the exception of allergies in the spring time which I haven't suffered yet this year. My weight has stayed the same,no fever,no fatigue,no loss of appetite,no night sweats,etc. Just this bump which is around 12mm in size. Thanks for your time with this matter.

Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 5 hours later
It looks more like a cyst then.
You can consult ENT specialist and get it removed.
It most probably is sebaceous cyst.

If any doubt do reply.

"If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health".