Having hard and painful lump on inner thigh. Which specialist should I contact?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, My elderly neighbor has a hard lump on her upper inner thigh and is extremely painful. The pain goes through her whole body. What kind of doctor would she see to have this checked out?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
A hard lump in the upper inner thigh could be due to -
1. A lipoma-infected- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a general surgeon and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.