Having hair loss. Is essvit tablets safe to use?

Hi doctor,
Iam XXXXXXX from Bangalore I have a problem of hair loss for the past few years, so I keep practicing use of hair oil everyday ensuring the hair should be free from outside dust but still I face the same problem then I consulted my friend who is under the medication from local doctor advised to take vitamin b5 tablet which is very good for growth of baby hair at the bald portion so I had a doubt whether the essvit tablets of 5 mg twice a day from ranbax can be used or not. Please let me know your opinion.
Please let know your best solution for this problem
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 38 minutes later

I assume that you have a diffuse type of hair loss and not male pattern baldness.

Male pattern baldness is genetically inherited and follows typical pattern of receding hair line on frontal and temporal sides of scalp with V shaped hair loss. Diffuse hair loss has no typical pattern and loss of hair is generalised and no specific area is affected.

Diffuse hair loss can be treated by vitamin supplements which consist of Vitamin b7 or biotin which is important for hair growth. Also vitamin A, D, proteins , amino acids like L cysteine, L methione , micronutrients like zinc , Iron ,copper are important for hair growth. I suggest you to take a nutritional supplement which contains above mentioned ingredients in required proportions.

Also do some destressing activities - regular exercise, maintain good diet, take one fruit per day and avoid smoking / alcohol / tobacco in any form.

Protect your hair and scalp from excessive heat, sunlight, direct wind, dust.

Hair oil has hardly any role in hair growth it has no effect on hair growth.

You can take over the counter supplements which contain biotin in 5 to 10 mg.

Consult a good dermatologist who can offer you appropriate health supplement and few prescription medicines for hair loss.

Mesotherapy is also a good option for hair loss. Your dermatologist can do it as an office procedure.

Hope this helps you. If you have any further queries feel free to ask them.

Dr Sudarshan