Having hair loss. Had hysterectomy. No family history of balding. What can I do?

I started having hair loss 2 years ago. I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago and it has accelerated badly. My temples are almost gone but the hair loss is all over my scalp. I'm 44 years old and no family history of balding. What can I do? Testosterone was tested and came back at 8.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
telogen effluvium

Detailed Answer:
Increase in hair fall after surgery is very common .
It is called as telogen effluvium
You will recover from this within a year.
your testosterone level is normal so it does not appear to be the cause of hair fall since 2 years.
other tests like serum ferritin, biotin, zinc and vit d levels must be done to find out an exact cause.
For now you can start taking an iron supplement and multi vitamin tablet.

let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you.
Follow-up: Having hair loss. Had hysterectomy. No family history of balding. What can I do? 7 minutes later
Would telegen effluvium cause such severe thinning? You can clearly see my scalp. I did at one point have slightly high DHEAS but have since been put on dexamthasone. It is normal now but did nothing for the hair loss. I'm afraid I will end up completely bald. I also was recently told by a functional medicine dr that I have macrocytic anemia. My MCV and MCH were both elevated. I just want my hair back!

Also, ferritin was checked and came back at 31.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
low ferritin is main problem

Detailed Answer:
Yes telogen effluvium can be that severe.
your ferritin levels are too low.
This appear to be the main cause of your hair fall.
please start taking iron supplement. injectable iron will be better for you.
Also you have megaloblastic anaemia so folic acid and vit B 12 is must.
Once these problems are controlled your hair will regrow my its own.
thank you
Follow-up: Having hair loss. Had hysterectomy. No family history of balding. What can I do? 12 hours later
Thank you for all your help. One more question. How do I raise my ferritin without raising my total iron, my sat, and my TIBC? They were all ok. At least that's what I was told but was also told ferritin was normal.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
take iron supplement

Detailed Answer:
All the parameters you mentioned are measures of body iron.
ferritin is stored iron In body.
once all the values of iron in body becomes normal ferritin will automatically become normal.
Please take iron supplements.
various tablets syrups and injections of iron are available.
Thank you