Having hair fall and diagnosed with androgenic alopecia and taking Propecia. Suggest the cure?

Question
I'm a 25-year-old male. I am/was losing 100+ hairs a day in the shower, plus more I'm sure that I'm not aware. I went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with androgenic alopecia 35 days ago. I was prescribed Propecia (finasteride) at 1mg a day. For the past 35 days, I have been faithfully taking 1mg. However, I'm not really seeing a a difference in the amount of hair I see go into the drain in the shower, the remaining hair on my brush, etc. My dermatologist said it would like be two or three months before I might see results. I'm wondering what he meant by results.

According to what the doctor said, there seems to be a lag time. By lag time, I mean a time where hair keeps falling out and new hair is not yet sprouting. Also, I've read on what are probably unreliable internet sources that hair fallout should cease completely after a few weeks. Where can I learn more about this? Should I be having less hair fallout by now? When can I expect complete cessation of hair fallout? Does Finasteride take “less-good” hair from the Anagen phase to the Catagen phase (where it falls out)? Also, does Finasteride speed up hair through the Telogen phase, so it takes less than three months for new hair to sprout? Also, when hair does eventually reach the Anagen phase again, how long until one can physically see it? Is the new hair like beard stubble, where after two/three days, one can see definitely see it?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Be very patient, 4 months

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience it takes 4 months for my patients taking propecia to see significant difference and you have to take the drug indefinitely(for rest of your life). I have seen good results with my patients and I recommend you continue taking this medication. Some of my patients who had stopped taking medication against my advice after seeing improvement had massive hair loss again, so take medication through out your life.

If you are diagnosed with androgenic alopecia from my experience hair loss will not cease in few weeks because even when you are on medication it takes months.

Dermatology text books can help you but you will need doctor to explain to you few details.
35 days is still early you should not expect big change yet.

Hope, I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have other queries.

Follow-up: Having hair fall and diagnosed with androgenic alopecia and taking Propecia. Suggest the cure? 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. Okia.

So when, then, can I expect a slowing down of hair loss (not new growth -- just a cessation of my hands being filled hair when I shower)? It's so very nerve wracking.

Also, does Finasteride take “less-good” hair from the Anagen phase to the Catagen phase (where it falls out)? Also, does Finasteride speed up hair through the Telogen phase, so it takes less than three months for new hair to sprout? Also, when hair does eventually reach the Anagen phase again, how long until one can physically see it? Is the new hair like beard stubble, where after two/three days, one can see definitely see it?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. David Okia 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
expect slowing down of hair loss in 4 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for your follow up question.
Expect slowing down of hair loss after 4 months of daily medication.

I usually give my patients simplified mechanism of action of Finasteride to avoid confusion. Finasteride mechanism of action (how it works) is not fully determined; but it said to decrease scalp DHT concentration to level found in hairy scalp, reduced DHT increases hair regrowth and slow down hair loss.

Finasteride affects both anagen and catagen phase of hair growth. It is bit difficult and confusing to explain further details about how these happens. As most patients without medical background get more confused to read and learn minute details, I choose to stop explaining further.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you need more information.