Having hair fall after delivery, hair is dull and thin. Suggest?

My son has just turned 7 months and i am having great hair loss.In the morning i could see lots of hair fall when i comb it or after hair wash.Now they look like dull and thin.Please suggest.Thanks
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Telogen Effluvium.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Looking into your problem there are two things . First is that you are suffering from Telogen Effluvium that is quite a common phenomenon after delivering baby . It occurs due to sudden shock to body and hormonal fluctuation following pregnancy .

Secondly you are having hypothyroid . The requirement of body fluctuates so you need to get your thyroid levels checked . Because it can result in hair fall and dull brittle hair.

I will advise you to see a dermatologist and get youself evaluated . Only after determining the cause medicine will be started accordingly .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Having hair fall after delivery, hair is dull and thin. Suggest? 6 minutes later
Thyroid treatment is going on which is quiet good.problem is only with hair loss.Just a question though getting in touch with dermatologist does shampoo and dryer or any other can be the cause of more harm.Even suplliemt of food.Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid dryer.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Definitely you should avoid dryers and any chemical treatment on hair . It leads to weakening of hair shaft and breaking of hair.

Healthy diet ,multivitamins are all adjuncts to therapy . Minoxidil is only approved treatment by FDA for this purpose .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Having hair fall after delivery, hair is dull and thin. Suggest? 3 hours later
Also i am facing getting skin dull,dry and tired look with pimple scar.Tanning can be seen.More often my hair generraly gets oily on 2nd day after hairwash.As of now i am breast feeding so please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Topical medications are not contraindicated.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

These features are more suggestive of thyroid disturbances . I will ask you to fet your free levels of thyroid hormones checked. In pregnancy topical application is not contraindicated but you need to check with dermatologist first.

Dr. Shruti