Having hair fall. Hair line receded from temple area and middle of head. Using Mintop. Suggest?

I'm suffering from unprecedented hairfall even since I moved to Chennai from Delhi (India) a couple of months ago. The magnitude of fall is such that my hairline has receded around the temple area (the part beside the temples) and in the middle of the head... About 20 days ago I started using Mintop 5% (twice a day) and also vitamin tablets once in a day and reduced my hair washing routine from daily to twice a week...Although it is too early to notice hair growth, hair fall is maintaining the same momentum- about 50-70 strands each day esp. from the past one week..... Nobody in family suffers from baldness.... Please help am extremely worried...
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The cause of hair fall has to be ruled out first

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Hair fall in males could be due to
1. Androgenetic alopecia where hair fall is progressive and gradual and hair is usually lost from frontal, temporal and vertex area.
2. Telogen effluvium - hair fall is acute and diffuse and is seen in association with stress, chronic illness, surgery, nutritional deficiency, anemia, thyroid dysfunction, etc
3. Localised causes like dandruff, psoriasis etc.

The pattern described in your case seems like androgenetic alopecia and the problem could have been compounded by the stress and altered eating habits due to moving to some other city.

To treat the same
- Use a protein, multivitamin and multimineral supplement esp containing biotin, selenium, copper manganese etc which are supposed to promote hair growth. You may take androanagen, adgain, revilus or follihair depending upon the availability in your city
- Continue application of minoxidil solution 1 ml twice in a day
- If having dandruff, use a ketoconazole based shampoo to wash hair
- Improve your diet. Increase intake of soy products, lentils, lean meats, fish, sprouts, milk and dairy products, nuts, salads and fruits to improve hair growth.
- Do exercies or yoga daily for half an hour.

Minoxidil takes at least two to three months to show response and initially increased hair fall can be noticed with minoxidil as it causes resting phase hair to fall so that new hair which is in growth phase can replace it. As you have recently started with treatment follow it at least
for two months to see response. If no response is seen XXXXXXX a doctor nearby for other hair restoring procedures like hair mesotherapy or if required hair transplant( indicated in advanced cases of hair loss)

Hope this helped. Should there be another query, please write back.
Follow-up: Having hair fall. Hair line receded from temple area and middle of head. Using Mintop. Suggest? 1 hour later
Dear Mrs Pathak,

Thanks for the prompt response and good advise. Have got a couple of follow up questions

1) Could my hair fall also be because of the use of borewell water in Chennai as opposed to Metro water in Delhi? I will hasten to add that the water I use now is not extremely saline as found in some parts of the city.

2) Could you name a few shampoo brands containing ketoconazole as I wouldn't claim my hair to be dandruff free. Google search didn't help.

3) Can I buy any one of the following - androanagen, adgain, revilus or follihair? I can make the required efforts to get the best of the above per your recommendation.

Thank You
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
1) I do not think the underlying cause for hair fall in your case is borewell water. You may continue using the same. Having said this, if water is too hard or saline it can definitely affect hair growth and texture( this will amount to chemical damage).
2) ketoconazole shampoos- nizoral, scalpe, konaz, keraglow ad etc. All are easily available
3) Take androanagen if available.

Also make it a point to visit a dermatologist nearby as nothing can replace a simple face to face consultation.