Having haemorrhoid in anal opening. Took prep h. Grown bigger and sore. Could I continue light plyometric exercises with jumping?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a small hemorrhoid just inside of the anal opening. I have had one before that went away. I want to know how to judge the seriousness of the hemorrhoid, as this will apparently be something I have to deal with. Having dealt with one before, I immediately began with prep h the night it happened (chronic diarrhea caused from bile malabsorption), but it has been 6 days and it has only gotten bigger and more sore. Is it common for it to get worse before it gets better? There is no bleeding, and there is no pain with bowel movements, but if I sit for too long (even on a ring), it gets sore. It is a little smaller than a pea. I also would like to know if I can continue to work out, specifically doing light plyometric exercises with jumping.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can do exercise but also it cam be cured

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
this is not something that you should be dealing with all your life. As a surgeon I would always recommend surgical methods of hemorrhoidectomy which is permanent cure.
Hemorrhoids are dilated veins and it can grow or decrease in size depending on blood filling of these veins. So usually it grows during defecation, diarheas, increased inraaadbominal pressure ,hot whether and other.
also,hemorrhoids never disappear during the life and it has slower or faster tendency to grow.
creams,sitz baths and other conservative therapy may be helpful for pain relief but it is not curative method. So when it starts to hurt,bleed or cause diarrheas and constipation it should be manager by surgical methods. you can do all the exercise, it can be only beneficial but also watch for your diet too.Wish you good health.feel free to ask
Follow-up: Having haemorrhoid in anal opening. Took prep h. Grown bigger and sore. Could I continue light plyometric exercises with jumping? 8 minutes later
I know that weightlifting or other exercises that might cause strain are not good for hemorrhoids, but I specifically wanted to know if exercises/sports that involve jumping are okay. Basketball, volleyball, etc.

Also, in trying to assess how serious my problem is, I want to know know if soreness is expected. Like I said, I have no bleeding, but I do have soreness when sitting. Is this something that should cause concern, or is it a typical side effect?

Additionally, I'm still curious if it is common for the hemorrhoid to grow in size during the first week, even if treatment was started immediately?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Such sports wont cause disease progression. As you said, you should avoid weight lifting since it increase intraabdominal pressure.
Jumping sports and aerobics will not have such effects but if you get hit your gluteal region by fall for example it may cause hemorrhoids rupture and bleeding so be cautious.
Preparation h primary relieves the symptoms and decrease soreness and sometimes it can facilitate healing. Symptoms should improve within 8-10 days and most people experience changes after 2-3 days. It is not common that symptoms get worse but it is possible; If you have thrombosied or incarcerated hemorrhoids it may cause delay in symptoms improvement, but I dont think this is your case considering what you ve said. There is a possiblity that you have associated anal fissure,rectal polyp or perianal abscess so if there is no improvement after these 10 days you should have physical examination to rule out these conditions. So be patient for several more days, use proper dosage of prep h,avoid long sitting and increase your fiber intake and after this I suggest to visit proctologist. Wish you good health.