Having greenish menstrual blood. What does that indicate?

Question
Hi I'm having greenish menstrual blood. What does that indicate?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXX

Greenish menstrual blood easily suggests some kind of underlying bacterial or maybe yeast infection. If the green discharge persists after your cycle, we probably need to get you tested for infection, and possibly get you on antibiotics. However, this is not something that is an emergency or life threatening and certainly does not suggest anything XXXXXXX like cancer.

See if the greenish discharge persists one week, and then if it does, see your doctor.

Have a great day.

Follow-up: Having greenish menstrual blood. What does that indicate? 19 hours later
Not sure if I was able to send my follow up question but I mentioned that before my greenish menstruation , I had painful urination in the beginning and started to smell foul odor then my period came and now that I am done with my period, I am having brownish whitish discharge that has foul odor as well. I am on vacation and can't get to a doctor right now but I do have a friend who is an NP and can prescribe me meds so id like to know what anti biotic to take

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 4 hours later
Hi

You can try metronidazole 500 mg, 7 day course. You will need a prescription for the medicine.

Follow-up: Having greenish menstrual blood. What does that indicate? 38 hours later
Thanks a lot !

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 1 hour later
You are welcome!

Follow-up: Having greenish menstrual blood. What does that indicate? 30 hours later
Hello I am now currently having lots of blood in my urine . I started the metronidazole today I only took 1 and I'm going to take another one later. But I also decided to take ciprofloxacin because I think I also have a UTI ? Is this okay ? Sorry for the confusion :/

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 1 hour later
Hi

No, you should not use antibiotics without confirmed infection

Follow-up: Having greenish menstrual blood. What does that indicate? 4 hours later
Okay

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 3 hours later
Ok. Thanks for the follow up.