Having golden staph infections spreading. Reinfection through skin contact? Immune system weak?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I am REALLY concerned about the golden staph infections that seem to spread for my partner's daughter, we think, to my partner. She had school sores and random abcesses or the like 12 months ago and a permanent nose infection. He is again in hospital tonight with a third golden staph infection in 9 months. He originally had a Bairnsdale ulcer in November last year. Then x3 bouts of golden staph. The first time the golden staph was around the area the Bairnsdale ulcer had been. The following two times he has developed very aggressive abscesses. One was cut out 6 months ago from his groin. He is getting another cut out as we speak from between his buttocks. My question is a) Is his daughter reinfecting him through just skin contact? b) Does he have a weakened immune system from the original ulcer c) Why do I not get the infection? ( I recently had a hemrroidectomy and THANK THE LORD I didn't get golden staph. If I continue to act as his partner WILL I eventually get this? PLEASE can you let me know as this as I am very worried?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 59 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for query.

Staph. Aureus is bacteria which is found in nose of about 30% of population. It means that there isn't infection,but only contamination. Maybe you have it too.
secondly, it causes infections and complication usually in newborns, surgical patients, immunocompromised,diabetic and terminal cancer patients. So it very rarely causes diseases in healthy people without open wounds or depressed immune system. It also very rarely cause nose infection. Abscesses in his daughter are something very worrying and it should have been evaluated.
Your partner is obviously immunocompromised and bairnsdale ulcer is evidence of it. Also bacteria which causes this ulcer also secretes toxines which weaken immunity. So all this is a reason why he has repeated staph infections. This is not reason for him to be in isolation but he needs aggressive treatment.
also,you won't get infected if you don't have some risk factors I be mentioned above so you don't have to worry. Bit every time you have open wound, some viral infection or weakened immune system, you shoul avoid close contact with your partner until he is healed. Wish you good health.regards.if you have any questions I ll be glad to help