Having glaucoma, IBS, osteoarthritis and chronic depression. Taking Xalatan. Chances of becoming blind?

Nephrologist
Question
I wonder how healthy I am? I am sixty four and have glaucoma, IBS, a mild osteoarthritis, amd chronic depression.I know that this question may sound hypochondriac , but I worry about going blind(I take Xalatan annd am dutiful in my mdicine) and fear a link between glaucoma and alzheimer. My bp is always normal (approx 170/ 64-70) and my blood work /urinalysis is very good and encouraging.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I see that you are suffering from multiple chronic diseases.

All the diseases you are suffering from have wonderful drugs which give remarkable results including glaucoma. Glaucoma can also be treated surgically which also gives good long term results. So when properly patients almost never go blind.

Alzheimer's and glaucoma are not related. They are two separate diseases. Glaucoma does not risk Alzheimer’s development.

I must add at this point that your blood pressure is not under control. Your systolic needs to come down to 140 mm Hg, so please XXXXXXX your physician soon.

In the mean time you could also do the following:
1. Treating depression rightly by regular follow ups with your doctor and following your doctor’s advice sincerely helps in keeping your health optimal.
2. Exercise regularly. Avoid fatty food
3. Go for eye checkups once in 6 months

I hope I have answered your query. If there are no follow up queries please accept my answer

Wish you good health.

With regards

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hi and Thanks for reverting back to me,

I am extremely happy that you have a normal blood pressure.

By keeping your blood pressure under check you are preventing
1. Kidney damage
2. Damage to eyes
3. Brain
4. Arteries and veins

Please continue all your medications prescribed by your physician.

I hope I have answered your query; if you have no follow up queries please accept my answer.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having glaucoma, IBS, osteoarthritis and chronic depression. Taking Xalatan. Chances of becoming blind? 1 minute later
This is not a question, rather, it is acorrection. MY bp is usually 120- 128.
Follow-up: Having glaucoma, IBS, osteoarthritis and chronic depression. Taking Xalatan. Chances of becoming blind? 6 hours later
Dr.Madhyastha,
T XXXXXXX you for your more than generous help!

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

It was a pleasure. If you have any other issues please let me know i will be happy to hell

I wish you good health

Regard