Having gastric varices due to liver cancer. Can coffee cause stomach irritation?

Question
I HAVE GASTIC VARICIES DUE TO LIVER CANCER AND I HAVE CHANGED MY DIET BUT IT SEEMS THAT EVERYTHING I EAT IRRITATES MY STOMACH. CAN COFFEE BE THE CAUSE ALSO?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 4 hours later

Thank you for posting in the query

Yes, Coffee is an irritant of the stomach as it contains Caffeine which is a known gastric irritant

Here are some suggestions that you could follow:

1. Eat 6 small meals evenly spaced throughout the day. Avoid periods of hunger or overeating. Eat slowly and chew foods well.
2. Sit up while eating and for 1 hour afterward.
3. Eat at-least 2 hours before bed time.
4. Cut down on caffeine-containing foods and beverages, citrus and tomato products, and chocolate as these are known to cause gastric irritation.
4. Milk and yogurt are known to reduce acidity.
5. Drink adequate amount of water as indicated by your doctor.
6. Sleep with the head end of the bed raised.

Antacids should be taken in the prescribed dose, One-hour before or 3 hours after meals and prior to bedtime.

Hope I have answered your query,

Dr Gowri