Having gastric related problem with severe abdominal pain. X-ray, ECG and scan normal. What's wrong?

Nov 2013

My wife and I have been having gastric related problems of a similar nature for some years, in my case more than five. Symptoms include pain above the naval, belching, pain after eating below the ribs in the middle and my wife has frequent bad stomach episodes. I have had ECG, Echo and CT scans for potential heart issues but all have come back ok. I have also had upper GI moving X-ray again clear. We have traveled extensively and as we are both showing similar symptoms I'm beginning to owner if we have contracted something? Perhaps hepatitis or even TB. We also have small wart like growths in various areas. These are very tiny but again we both have them! Can you help?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious gastrointestinal disease.

The chances of you having hepatitis or TB is very less. This is because your symptoms do not suggest so, and moreover, if these are left untreated for five years, they would progress a lot leading to serious symptoms.

Hepatitis causes jaundice and liver enzymes (SGOT and SGPT) would be elevated in this condition.

In abdominal TB, there would be fever, loss of appetite and loss of weight. An ultrasound or a CT scan of the abdomen can help in excluding this.

Your symptoms are most likely due to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This can be treated medically.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM