Having gas in rectum, unable to sit and feeling hungry. What do you suggest?

General Surgeon
my son just phoned me he has been sick since friday with gas in the rectum so painful he was unable to sit. also some stomach pain feeling slightly better now quite hungry agnes henchey
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be due to impacted stools Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX, I presume that you meant not able to pass flats when you said gas in rectum. It is most likely due to impacted fecal matter which is quit common at age of 62years. Giving a Sodium Phosphate enema or a rectal suppository will definitely provide the much needed relief. As you have Could y mentioned that he has started to feel better with feeling of hunger coming back, that is definitely a positive reassuring thing. Also if there is no distension of abdomen, no vomiting, no pain on pressing the abdomen then there seems to be no cause for concern. If the symptoms don't improve I would suggest you that he should see his physician at the earliest. Wishing you and your family a good healthy life. I hope I have answered your query, in case you need any further assistance Kindly get back to me. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon