Ask a Urologist   »  

Having fungal infection on penis. Looks red and dry. What does an inflammed penile corona signify?

Question
What does an inflammed penile corona signify? And a penile head looks dry with wrinkles? I once sprayed bleach on it coz i thought i have contracted a fungal infection. My penile corona seems inflammed and sometimes reddish? How do i know if it is herpes or something? Does hsv 2 spread in other parts of the body like the back, arm, cheeks?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
Inflammation of penile gland can be due to multiply factors, in some cases irritating substances like soap, body lotion , sexually transmitted diseases, hot environment with lack of local hygiene. Very probably your inflammation appeared as a result of a burn while you sprayed bleach . I would strongly recommend don’t use any more such chemical substances that can cause sever burn and lead to infections. Fungal infection first must be identify by laboratory analysis then treat accordingly with antifungal creams and tablets. You must know that primary genital herpes can be cause by both symptoms like fever, headache, muscle pain and local clinical features ( penis, gland, scrotum ) like pain, itching, herpetic erupted vesicles ( sometime they can progress to pustules ), painful urination, ureteral discharge. Yes, in some cases Herpes simplex type 1 and 2 can cause cutaneous herpes, but those body parts like arms, back, chest most frequent affected by Varicella zoster virus that is from same Herpesviruses family as Herpes simplex virus. But again additionally to clinical diagnosis you need laboratory confirmation of herpes virus infection.

Hope this helps, if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask,

Best Regards,      

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Having fungal infection on penis. Looks red and dry. What does an inflammed penile corona signify? 30 minutes later
I didnt find any bumps nor blister on my penis just this one time after my blister on the arm and cheek appeared i saw one pimple like blister on my scrotum and on my pubic region two small blister after shaving they appeared on that area. Also sometimes my left side testis experience some little pain. Can this be herpes or something else? I dont have any discharge but last may 2012 i took a bunch of antibiotics just a precautionary and fear of contracting any stds. I took clarithromycin, oflaxacin, and cefuroxime. But i undergo blood test last july 16 rpr, tpha, hiv 1 and hiv 2 results negative, non-reactive, and 0.12 non-reactive respectively. I took them after my last may 4 enounter.

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 33 minutes later
Thank you for writing back,
If those two blisters on your scrotum and pubic region appeared after shaving and then disappeared , then is not suggestive for herpes simplex infection. As I stated infection caused by herpes simplex virus may be accompanied by multiply erupted vesicles, that lasts many days and progress to pustules and pain , itching, burning sensation are very common. You don’t have above mentioned by me symptoms, means very unlikely you have herpes infection. I noted you have done blood work, but there no mention about HSV , in such case to calm your self I would advice you laboratory analysis to rule out herpes simplex infection. Regarding your testis mild pain I would advice you urine analysis and blood work ( complete blood count , kidney function test, ) to rule out any urinal tract infection, epididymitis.

Best Regards,      

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Having fungal infection on penis. Looks red and dry. What does an inflammed penile corona signify? 23 minutes later
Thank you so much doc for your insights, i will do the necessary test but i already done creatinine test and it is just 0.74mg/dl normal here 0.5-1.3. What specific test for urine should i take? Is it just urinalysis or there is a specific test for the epididymitis? In adition my first blister appeared on the forearm last aug 4 and my last encounter was may 4, is it possible ( if its herpes) that the symptoms would just appear for this long period of time? Im confused of this blister, because the timing it appeared was when our co-worker reported to work when he is still has blisters fom chicken pox but i already had my chickenpox epiode when i was a child.Could it be also from chickenpox? And i dont see any blister on my genital.

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Thank you for writing back,
At this stage, to rule out any urinal tract infection, epididymitis, orhitoepididymitis that frequently accompanied by testis pain you need simple Urine analysis, complete blood count that will help clarify. If your genital XXXXXXX are clear , then you don’t have herpes simplex infection. If you had already chickenpox while child , there no chance to get infected again form your co-worker. Regarding your blister on the arm, if you have just one , it is not suggestive for herpes virus infection.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Best Regards,      

Dr.Mihail