Having functional cysts in ovaries. Why am I childless? Can I go for diet plans to conceive?

My Gyne told that am having functional cyst in my ovaries. I have been married 2 years ago. Still, we dont have child. Please tell me the diet plans. It will help me to cure that and conceive.
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Functional cysts are harmless and will go on their own, there would be no diet which can fasten its disappearance.Functional cysts usually happen in normal ovaries and do not affect the fertility. Only if the cyst is big around 10 cms and so, it could present with symptoms like
Frequent urination, if a large cyst is pressing against your bladder.
Abdominal pain
Menstrual period changes and
Weight gain

Hence, a better diet plan when there is a big functional cyst would be a low fat diet.

Conception would be made easy when the exact cause of not having a child now is known.
First the patency of the fallopian tube (This tube allows passage of the egg from the ovary to the uterus) has to be ascertained.This can be done by a HSG (Histosalphingogram )scan.The scan shows whether there is any block in the tubes which is not allowing the egg to pass into the uterus and fail to combine with the sperm.

Once the tubal patency is ascertained you can follow a natural method called calender method where intercourse is planned in fertile phase of the menstrual cycle.The fertile phase in a women with normal cycle length would be from 10th to 19th day.

Also there is technique called Follicular scan which consists of series of ultrasound scans which observe the development and release of egg.When the scan indicates the release of egg,then planned intercourse could be fruitful.

There are many other assisted techniques which do help in women with otherwise normal ovarian function.You can consult a infertility specialist for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Having functional cysts in ovaries. Why am I childless? Can I go for diet plans to conceive? 15 minutes later
Thanks for your information on this. I would like to add up few points here. I have done a ultra sound. My follicle is not forming very good. So doctors will end up after 5th day tablet. They use to give me clofert.
In one cycle, they tried with FSH injections. I had 2 injections. But the follicle formed is very big on earlier 8th day itself. Its behaving in a erratic manner. So, in the last scan, they have confirmed that am having a functional cyst and asked me to reduce 15% of weight. Currently my weight is 86.5kg. I did a Fallopian tube scan also. There is no blocks in my tubes. So can you please suggest me whether we are going in a correct track?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

If the tubal block is ruled out the best and only way to increase the fertility is by The CLOFERT (Clomifene) tablets and better than Clofert would be the FSH injections.Well, both the medications do need time for their response to be satisfying and minimum of 8 to 10 sessions of injections should be consider before considering it a failure.

Yes, I would recommend you to continue the same medications.

I wish you good luck.