Ask a Dentist   »  

Having frequent wisdom tooth pain and mouth ulcers. Looking for relief

I have frequent wisdom tooth pain. Is there a pain relief available?
The tooth is not completely developed yet.
I keep getting mouth ulcers due to this.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query,

Wisdom tooth is the last tooth to erupt in the oral cavity and often its eruption is associated with symptoms like pain and discomfort while eating / opening mouth, swelling in the jaws, cheek bite and ulceration.
Often due to the tilted position and impaction gums overlying the tooth usually undergoes inflammation known as pericoronitis; besides that the position of the tooth leads to entrapment of the cheek mucosa in between the teeth during biting and leads to ulceration.

I would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine which will give soothing effect.

In order to prevent the consequences, you may need to get an OPG radiograph done which will show the exact position of the tooth and if it is tilted consider getting the tooth extracted surgically in future to avoid future discomfort. Besides that you may need a course of broad spectrum antibiotic. Your dentist nearby will know about the X-rays and antibiotic; please visit them whenever feasible.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr.Farah Hussain.