Having frequent wheezing, take asthalin. Suggest precaution to take apart from medicine?

I am struggling with wheezing. Frequency of asthamtic attacke was very less (probabaly 10 times in an year), but since last one month I have wheezing atleast once/twice in a week.
I take asthalin tablet/inhaler(if severe two puffs)
Apart from medice, could you please suggest any preventive action that I should take in
terms of food/life style etc etc
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 5 hours later
Before I comment something let me tell you, asthma occurs in 50% of patients of allergic rhinitis (symptoms like frequent running nose, allergy to dust, fumes, sinusitis etc) and reverse is seen in 20%. And treatment of allergic rhinitis also improves asthma.
Plain salbutamol (asthalin) without steroid is never advised in asthma except as first step in very mild disease when it is required occasionally like once in a week.
You seems to have uncontrolled asthma. You need slight change in your inhaler. Ask your physician to prescribe a combination of long acting bronchodilator like formoterol and budesonide combination to be taken as 2 puffs twice daily. You can use your asthalin inhaler in between if needed. Asthalin tablet is usually not indicated due to increased side effects like increased heart beat, tremors restlessness etc. Inhalers have 1000 times less dose than tablets.
If you have too much of symptoms you may try a short course of oral steroid like prednisolone 40 mg once a day for 7-10 days.
Regarding preventive action you may avoid dust exposure, mites as in old carpets, pollens, dump area.....Also any food which makes your symptom worse (it varies with individuals)...

Best wishes