Ask a Urologist   »  

Having frequent urination with urgency. Blood and urine test normal. How to treat this problem?

Jul 2016

I am 27 year old male. I have frequent urination and urgency problems for 7 years now.
The episodes of frequent urination and urgency varies from time to time. Some times it very severe and problem lasts for few hours ( example : 3-4 time per hour for two hours ). During such episodes my urine is completely clear ( colorless) and there is no pain involved. Sometimes everything seems perfectly alright, pale yellow urine and less urgency.

This does not generally disturb my sleep.

From my observation over these there are two things that seem to cause the frequent urination and urgency.
1. When I have food and drinks like coffee, tea, alchohol, spicy food, ice creams, etc.
2. When I feel tensed about something.

Few years back I happened to wet my trousers as I was unable to reach rest room in time. Ever since the problem makes me feel very uncomfortable. It has become so difficult that the fact that there are no restrooms around makes me tensed and out of that worry I begin to feel urgency and eventually my bladder fills up.

Over the years I have been consulting urologists and GPs, they had my blood and urine tested everything is normal.They ruled out infections, diabetes and kidney problems.I Had undergone ultrasound scanning and everything is alright. Doctors I have consulted said its just a temporary thing and it would go away. But it never did.

Could this be due to overactive bladder or some neurological thing or anxiety or all ?
Could you please suggest me how to go about dealing this ? can this condition be resolved?

Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 59 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have frequency of micturition with urgency since last 7 years. You have undergone preliminary investigations and have been treated by your family Physician and qualified Urologist.
Your problem seems to be due to combined effect of Over Active Bladder Syndrome and Anxiety.

Have you ever done Urodyanmic study of Urinary Bladder and Cystoscopy (Endoscopic Examination of Bladder) ?
You can revisit your Urologist and discuss about these tests to come to conclusion.

In the mean while start taking medicine like Darifenacin or Solifenacin once daily. Please get prescription of this drug from your family Physician.Please keep in mind few side effects of thes drugs like dryness of the mouth and little abdominal discomfort in initial stage which will go away after you get accustomed to it.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Having frequent urination with urgency. Blood and urine test normal. How to treat this problem? 27 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your reply,

I have couple of more questions.

Are these medicines help increase bladder capacity / Reduce overactivity?

Is this condition curable or is it a chronic problem. ?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 hours later

Thanks for writing again.
There are no medicine that increase Bladder Capacity.
These medicine will reduce over activity of the Bladder and this condition is curable.

Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Having frequent urination with urgency. Blood and urine test normal. How to treat this problem? 3 days later
Thanks doctor.

I will act as per your suggestions.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Thanks for accepting my suggestion.Take these drugs for 2 weeks and do write to me again about the results of these medication.
Thanks and Regards.