Having frequent urination after abortion. Test showed few epith cells in urine. Any medication?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello doctor, I am 19 years old, 1.54m tall and weigh 48kg. I had an abortion 4months ago.recently, I used to urinate quite frequent. I had a urine test done and I realise I have a few epith cells in my urine. Please could this be a result of the abortion or not? And can you prescribe any drugs for me?
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Epithelial cells in Urine ( along with pus cells , frequent micturition etc)can be suggestive of a abortion . I assume you also have pus cells in urine which are more significant indicators as only epithelial cells can be a contaminant due to vaginal secretions.In normal females too a urinary infection can occur due to the close proximity of urinary tract to the genitalia and anus in females.Wether the source of infection was hospital acquired or not cannot be commented .
First and foremost you should undergo a urine culture & antibiotic sensitivity test which can confirm the cause of infection and also suggest the most suitable antibiotics either fluoroquinolones or penicillin group of antibiotics.
I would recommend you consult your gynaecologist for an evaluation and management .
It's not advisable to start self medication and you should get a prescription antibiotic started only after a physical examination and investigation .
However if it's not feasible as of now you should go ahead with the urine culture test atleast so that appropriate management can be initiated soon.
If you have any further doubts please feel free to ask.