Having frequent urination. Taking water during meals. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
For my infant daughter: She just completed 1 year last week. For past 3 months she is with me here in Washington state (earlier in India). We observe that she goes for a frequent urination. We keep replacing the pants every often (actually we don't use diapers during the day but only during evening and night). Say for an average we notice twice every hour and sometimes thrice. She intakes water only during meals and once in between (5 times meals per day and 2-3 times breast milk)
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 54 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Frequent urination in an otherwise healthy child is of little concern.

But it is advised to rule out the causes of frequent and excessive urination like diabetes mellitus and insipidus even though the later two conditions are uncommon.

But if she is thirsty, loosing weight, having episodes of dehydration, frequency of urination with urgency, burning pain, or dribbling of urine, the frequent urination needs immediate evaluation.

Basic investigations like complete urine examination, urine for sugar and osmolality, and an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to be done to look for the presence of urinary tract infection and to rule out the causes of excessive urination like diabetes mellitus and insipidus.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician there for physical examination and for basic investigations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having frequent urination. Taking water during meals. What to do? 40 hours later
Dr,

Thanks for your response.

If it is like "urinary tract infection" is it expected to be associated with pain, which the baby can show up?

And what is the physical examination/lab test that i should ask for, from the hospital?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

Pain while passing urine is a symptom of symptoms of urine infection.

In younger children urine infections can be suspected with fever, frequency of urination, foul smelling urine, irritation while passing urine, and dribbling of urine.

The physical examination is to check her weight, body temperature, hydration status, local redness, and examination of abdomen and routine general examination of the child.

The basic investigations for your child complaints after physical examination by pediatrician may include :

Complete urine examination (including microscopy and sugar)

Urine for culture and sensitivity

Urine osmolality

Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having frequent urination. Taking water during meals. What to do? 15 hours later
Thanks Dr. I will follow up with a hospital here and check as per your suggestion.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 8 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

Wish you and your family a good health.

Once again I thank you for contacting me on Healthcare Magic.

If you don't have any clarification, you can close the session and I request you to kindly rate and review my answer to improve my self to advise in a better way in the future.

Regards.