Having frequent pinching effect in kidney area. Anything serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
hello doctor
I AM HAVING A VERY VERY MILD KIND OF A PINCHING EFFECT AROUND THE LEFT KIDNEY AREA.I CANNOT PINPOINT THE AREA BUT ITS ABOUT IN OR AROUND LEFT KIDNEY.THIS PINCHING HAPPENS FREQUENTLY.SO CAN U EXPLAIN ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.IS IT A SYMPTOM OF ANY MAJOR PROBLEM WHICH MIGHT COME IN FUTURE.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

This is usually sign of kidney or ureteral stone and this is nothing serious because most of them pass spontaneously and sometimes it can cause very intensive pain if stone is big enough to obstruct ureter.

You just need to drink plenty of fluids (2-3 liter per day), try to find dandelion, couchgrass or shepherd's tea. Also, consume diet XXXXXXX in fruits, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, fish, poultry and legumes. Eat bananas, brown rice, soy, barley and oats since they are XXXXXXX in calcium and magnesium.
Also, limit coffee and alcohol intake.

If you notice constant pain around the kidney,fever and chills, you should visit doctor and do urine analysis and kidney ultrasounds because you might need antibiotics for kidney infection.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having frequent pinching effect in kidney area. Anything serious? 18 hours later
hello doctor
so should i go for an ultrasound and gall blader x rays

on strange thing happened today at about 9 AM. AS ADVISED BY U I STARTED TAKING WATER FROM TODAY.I TOOK ABOUT 2 LITRES OF WATER WITHIN 1/2 HOURS.AFTER THAT I FELT A BIT DIZZY WHITH A BIT OF SWEATING.THAN I SLEPT FOR ABOUT 25 MINTUTES AND THEN BACK TO NORMAL.DOES THIS HAVE ANY RELATION TO THE STONE THAT U TOLD ME IN PREVIOUSLY.ALSO THIS DIZZYNESS
WHIT SWEATING HAPPENED ONE MORE TIME PREVIOUSLY IN FEBUARY 2013 AND DOCTOR GAVE ME SOME MEDICINES AND I WAS OK.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Hi.
I suggest just to do urine analysis at this point where signs of stones, infection or blood can be found.This can usually be done by your GP. If something abnormal is found in urine, then you need to do ultrasound.
Gallbladder stones would manifest with symptoms on the right side of abdomen and it would be aggravated by meal. You shouldnt take so much water in short time. Try to drink 1/2 L every 4 hours through the day.
Dizziness may be caused by activation of autonomic nerve system and this can happen due to kidney stone. You may ask your GP for spasmex or anxiolytic drugs which you can take when experience such symptoms.
WIsh you good health. Regards