Having frequent migraine headaches, bleeding gums and feeling tired. Medicine for cure?

Nov 2013

My wife is having frequent migrain headaches. Some seem to come if she doesn't drink enough water. Sometimes they come if she doesn't eat every two hours or so. They used to go away with 1/2 of a OTC migrain tablet, but now she has to take two tablets as soon as she feels the headache starting or else they last for many hours. The headaches are usually behind her eyes or on the sides of her head. She is also having bleeding gums and feels tired alot. She is 63 years old and has generaly good health.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Since your wife is having frequent headache episodes, it is preferable to start her on a preventive migraine therapy. Medications used for this purpose include topiramate, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, divalproex, etc.

Regular intake of these medications would reduce the frequency and severity of headache episodes.

In addition, avoiding the migraine triggers such as less sleep duration, fasting, stress, etc should be avoided.

I am sure your wife would improve soon.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Having frequent migraine headaches, bleeding gums and feeling tired. Medicine for cure? 22 minutes later
Thank you for the information. Is there any connection with the bleeding gums with possible infection and the headaches?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back.

I do not think there is a connection between the two- bleeding gums with infection and migraine.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)