Having frequent headaches. What medicines should not be taken with Diclofen Pot?

What medicines should you not take with Diclofen Pot? I have frequently headaches and wondered what to used. Thank you
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 3 hours later
Hi XXXXX! Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Diclofenac Potassium is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that can be used to relieve pain and swelling.

This drug is related to aspirin, and other NSAIDS (including ketorolac, mefenamic acid) and cox2-inhibitors (like celecoxib). These drugs, together with blood thinners (like warfarin and heparin), anti-platelets (like clopidogrel), ace-inhibitors (like captopril), angiotensin-receptor blockers (like losartan), beta blockers (like metoprolol), oral bisphosphonates (like alendronate), SSRI antidepressants (like fluoxetine and setraline), and diuretics (like furosemide and thiazide) can have serious interactions with diclofenac.

Since you are suffering from depression and you also have an esophageal disease (Barretts), this medication may cause esophageal/gastric bleeding due of its acidity aside from the possible drug interactions with SSRI antidepressants.

I would suggest that you to talk to your physician on what possible medications you can take for your headaches especially since he/she knows your medical history and medications used.

In the meantime, try to practice relaxation techniques whenever you have headaches. If possible, try to identify and avoid triggers to your headaches - stress, certain food and lack of sleep are the most common ones. You may also try applying a cold compress to the affected area, which may also help relieve the pain.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Take care and I wish you good health!

Dr. Galera