Having frequent cramps in lower abdomen. Not cured by medicines. What treatment should be done?

I have intermittent but frequent cramps in the lower middle abdomen
And a lot of gurgleing noises and gaseous movement on my middle left side
I have no constipation or diareah and no bloody stools .i have been seeing my GP and have been prescribed antacids but no good so far .GP I did have a seven day course of Meterdizanol and tha did appear to fix things but then the symptoms apperea to come back after four weeks
has also tried IBSmeds Meberven but also does no appear to be doing much
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for contacting Healthcare magic
Crampy pain usually indicates a hollow organ problem and one in the lower abdomen points to a distal small intestine or colon as the source of pain
Abdominal noises usually indicate lack of digestion of sugars and subsequent fermentation. This can occur as result of age related reduction in the level of enzymes or secondary to other diseases or hypomotility. The most common sugar to be involved is the lactose or milk sugar.
Hence quit milk and milk products other than fermented ones for 2 weeks and do a stool examination and fasting TSH and blood sugars. Meanwhile eat high fibre complex foods and hopefully your symptoms will subside
Consultant Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
Follow-up: Having frequent cramps in lower abdomen. Not cured by medicines. What treatment should be done? 23 hours later
Dr Poona.

Sorry for late reply but too unwell to do any work etc .I have been to my GP again and she noticed that i had a hi temp and raised pulse rate .She still believes that I had an infection possibly of the Diverticuli in large bowel .I previously had Metronidasol which did cure the symptoms but the symptoms returned after 3 weeks or so .She now wants me to take Augmentin for seven days and then follow up with some investigation in to possible Diverticulitus or other Colon problems.
I am now feeling better
I do have a good diet generally and eat a lot of whole foods and avoid refined sugars I have now been checked and cleared OK for Gluten intolerance and Chron's disease.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 17 hours later
Hi and sorry to hear about your problems
Diverticulitis is associated with crampy lower abdominal pain but is usually associated with some bowel abnormalities and fever.
Crohns by definition is pain abdomen with diarhhoea or significant weight loss.
Antibiotics can temporarily benefit any disease by changing the intestinal flora and this doesnot help in establishing diagnosis
I can only help you further after looking at serial stool examinations (x3), fasting TSH and serum CRP(quantitative) values.
Meanwhile i wouldn't suggest too frequent antibiotic use.