Having frequent burping. How do I reduce it?

General Surgeon
offlate, I notice that I am having frequent burping. How do reduce this?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 41 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX ! I am not aware of your diet and bowel habits. If you eat frequently from outside, then this could be a symptom of infection of the intestines specially amebiasis which is a common problem globally. It is suggested that you get your stool tested for ova and cyst. If it is proved to be amebiasis, your family physician may prescribe some anti amebic drugs along with a probiotic and proton pump inhibitor drug which will relieve you of your symptoms.
If this does not, then it is possible that your physician may advise you to go for an ultrasound of the abdomen and a upper GI endoscopy to exclude other conditions like gall stones, or a hiatal hernia causing gatro esophageal reflux and hyper acidity, which may also give rise to such symptoms of yours. Your further management will depend on the reports of your investigations.
I hope this must have given a fare idea of the steps to be taken by you. However, if you got any queries, you are most welcomed to ask. Wishing you an early recovery.