Having frequent bowel movements, butterflies in head. Diagnosed with stomach virus. How to get relief?

Jan 2013

female, 43. Have had smelly runny poo for past 10 days, within 1 hr of eating. Also have 'butterflies' in head, both started at the same time. Been to dr who said I had a stomach virus, and gave me a 5 day course of tablets to rebalance the bacteria in my gut and also paracetemol for my head as said this was connected. I finished these 4 days ago, and had 2 days when all was ok (apart from the funny head), but runny poo has come back today, and head 'butterflies' are still there.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later

1) Kindly answer the following question:
a) Have you any watery shit?
b) Have you excessive flatulence?
c) Have you spasmodic pain in abdomen?
d) Presence of fever

2) Your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from acute viral gastroenteritis with increased gastro-colic reflex.

3) These smelly shit is because of presence of fat in stool, which was not absorbed in small intestine. Small intestine is frequently involved in viral gastroenteritis and patient has increased tendency for defecation.

4) All these viral gastroenteritis is self remitting and you can take Rifaximin alnog with anti-spasmodics, probiotics, Oral rehydration solution.

5) You should avoid all milk products and milk as excessive flatulence may occur.

6) Any type of viral gastroenteritis may take 3-4 days to recover.

7) You should also consult with physician.

Kindly put any query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava