Having frequent bowel movements and urination. Any idea what might be going on?

My 8 year old step daughter has recently started having frequent bowel movements and having to go pee frequently, especially when we are away from home. Her teacher at school has told me that she has to go to the bathroom for a BM every day during the same class, at the same time. 2 weeks ago we were shopping at a local store and she suddenly told me she had to go the bathroom and before we could get there, she peed in her pants. I thought she had just gone too long without going to bathroom. This is very out of the norm for her. She has only has about 3 accidents since she has been potty trained. We took her to the doctor because we thought maybe she had a bladder infection or UTI. There was no signs of infection. At school she complains of her stomach hurting, then she has to go to the bathroom. If we are out or driving somewhere, she asks to go to the bathroom about every 30 minutes. Sometimes she actuallys pees but sometimes she only passes gas. Any idea what might be going on?
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
I do understand your condition.
Its possible that your child has anxiety issues which she is afraid to share. This can particularly be common in overweight children who may be teased etc.
Or we could also be due to an endocrine disturbance which is making her excessively thirsty, and thus she has to use the bathroom so frequently.
I would also like to know whether she has always been overweight or whether she has gained weight recently or whether there is a significant shift in her eating habits.
Awaiting your reply