Having frequent bowel movements. Could it be IBS or crohns?

I go to the bathroom about 5 times a day, I have had a colonoscopy before, I was told I may have ibs or crohns, what can I do ? I eat and immediately have to go? I drive for a living I don't eat spicy foods or soda, no alcohol drugs or smoke. The only thing that seems to help is if I take imodiom to stop going for a day then after that it's worse. I always feel bloated and in some pain.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

With the frequency of bowel movements which you are having I do think that you should talk about this with a gastroenterologist. Your symptoms do not indicate in my opinion that you have any type of cancer but this is something that medication can control very well.

I would also be interested to see if there're any biopsies done during your colonoscopies. This would help the gastroenterologist diagnose Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.

Again there are several different medications which can be used to control frequent bowel movements. In your case this would be a prescription that you would obtain from a gastroenterologist or from your primary care physician to discuss these symptoms and a possible referral to a gastroenterologist for further discussion.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional follow-up concerns related to this.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Having frequent bowel movements. Could it be IBS or crohns? 13 hours later
What are the symptoms of crohns vs. Ibs? They didn't find anything on the colonoscopy. Is there anything along with medication I can do or eat? I always feel a lot of pressure in my stomach area almost like I'm overfill, even though I go to the bathroom so many times a day and even if I haven't eaten.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 days later
Hello again and thank you for the additional question.

Crohn's disease usually causes issues with diarrhea and abdominal pain. This is something that your doctor would have noticed on the colonoscopy. Again a biopsy would be definitive. I suspect that since he did not see anything on the colonoscopy that you do not have Crohn's.

Irritable bow syndrome tends to cause issues with cramping. In your case I think you should probably talk about your symptoms with a nutritionist or a dietitian. It is possible that you have some sensitivity to certain foods such as dairy products. Also it is important that you maintain good fluid hydration on a daily basis. This is important to allow for adequate digestion.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert