Having frequent anxiety attacks. Taking zoloft for depression. Suggest something beside zoloft

Question
Hi i am on zoloft 200mg a day for gad and depresion, i have been on it for 7 years and i think they stoped working lately i had 3-5 anxiety attacks per day, just wondering if there would be an add on for zoloft and what would they be.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are 3 main treatment options that are available for persons with anxiety and depression whose medication or treatment regimen may be presenting problems.

(1) maximise the dose.Unfortunately you are already on the maximum dose and this is not an option

(2) switch to another medication. Because SSRI medication (the zoloft family of drugs, includes prozac, citalopram, paxil,lexapro)- all have slightly different structure and change to another may be helpful

(3) augment the present medication by adding another drug to it. The most commonly used drugs that are added on are buspirone, thyroid medication, lithium and pinodol.
If your doctor decides that this is the best route then the two of you can decide which would best suit you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Having frequent anxiety attacks. Taking zoloft for depression. Suggest something beside zoloft 9 hours later
Thank you verry much for the wonderfull answer, you see my doc doesnt specialize in that field when i go and see him hi is spectical he prescribed me buspar which has been dicontinued in australia 5 months ago. I also tried benzos and did not likeit 1 bit. So thats why im looking for something that are not benzos but have good effect. I may have something with my thyroid i will check that out also a lot of people have sexual problems while on zoloft and me no worries at all, i also smoke and have been smoking more since anxiety had started again i also have a flue or it could be due to anxiety not sure so that is why im looking for a good add on for zoloft because it did wonders for me when i first took them. Thanknyou again for taking the time

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
No problem, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Having frequent anxiety attacks. Taking zoloft for depression. Suggest something beside zoloft 4 hours later
hi again just wondering if you can take Crocus sativus(safron) stigma 100 mg with zoloft 200mg a day
one more thing i lost nearly 12.5kg in the last 8 weeks since anxiety started i also stoped eating choclette and drinking coffee no caffeine at all no junk foods just normal home cooking but smaller portions and less times a day is that normall or should i worry o yea and i change job from sitting position to moving all day long. thanks

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Hi

There are no known interactions between crotus sativus and SSRI such as zoloft.
It is thought to possibly interact with platelets (important in clotting) and therefore may interact with anti platelet drugs but this is the only interaction known at this time.

Though you have changed your diet and level of activity, unintentional weight loss should always be investigated to rule out any serious causes. The initial investigations would normally include a full blood count, ESR and a stool for occult blood.
The ESR is a non specific marker for inflammation in the body, if high it indicates further investigations are required.

If these are normal then further tests may not be necessary unless your doctor finds a significant finding on examination.

Follow-up: Having frequent anxiety attacks. Taking zoloft for depression. Suggest something beside zoloft 10 minutes later
is the intetaction seriuos

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
It is not well documented because it is a non traditional medicine there are not alot of medical studies.
It is thought to be a mild effect at the moment, further investigations may be necessary