Having foul smell in mouth despite brushing two times a day. Smells like mucus. Have frequent cough and cold. Suggest remedy?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,

I have a foul smell in my mouth most of the times, despite brushing two times a day. It smells more like mucus when we usually have a cough or cold. This is denting my confidence, as my wife hates this badly. Kindly suggest any remedies.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later
Hello XXXXX,
I will try to explain few reasons and their remedies for Foul smelling from mouth --
1. poor dental hygiene--you should brush two times a day and consult dentist.
2. Constipation--treatment-- eat fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables to avoid constipation and ,you can use isabghol .
When we are passing stools daily then the liver stays healthy and so the digestion is proper and stomach stays healthy and there is no belching and so foul smell in mouth.
3. Acidity , heart burn ---If you have these symptoms then you may have reflux ie the food contents in stomach comes up to some extent in the food pipe and smells bad. This reason is very common .
Treatment--what i suggest to my patients ---but you must consult your doctor before taking these medicines--
Tab. Mucinac 600 once daily for 7 days
Tab. Omeprazole +Domperidone two times a day half an hour before meals for 7 days
Syp. antacid gel
multivitamin twice daily
Keep head end of bed elevated.
Avoid alcohol, Smoking
Do brisk walking daily
Go for walk after dinner
Avoid spicy food     
Avoid late night coffee

4.Nasal infections---For this you must consult your ENT specialist, so that any infection is ruled out.
Treatment --at least what i could suggest without examining is, you can use normal saline sprays two times a day,it will keep your nose clean and no smell may come.

Get well soon.
'Hope I have answered your query'
If in doubt do reply.