Having foot pain with discoloration and swelling. Had metatarsal fix. MRI showed mild difuse disc bulge L5-S1. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
had 5th metatarsal fx in XXXXXXX (junction of XXXXXXX fx vs large avulsion fx) MD wanted to try conservative treatment. In april, still had foot pain while walking with discoloration and swelling. plain films showed demineralization bone scan positive. Was told I had mild RSD (CRPS). Still have clicking/ popping in foot at times. Unable to do heel rise or bear weight on ball of foot with heel raised. ( just won't do it, foot collapses ) and some light buzzing sensation in foot. was sent to phys med doc. who thought it might be s1 radiculopathy. I was told MRI essential normal, showing mild difuse disc bulge L5-S1 and bilat facet arthrosis no herniation central canal or neuroforaminal narrowing. Also 1.o cm round R1 and T2 hyperdense lesion in inferior aspect of L4 vertebral body likely representing hemangioma. Short course of tapering prednisone offered fleeting improvement in strength in foot but mostly have experienced increased weakness primarily LLE. waiting for follow up appt a month away. worried this might get worse. Any ideas as to why the persistent foot deficit? what can be done?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The persistent weakness in the foot muscles can be due to post traumatic stiffness. A nerve involvement is not necessary.
Most of the times, such weakness improves on regular hot fomentation, massage and physiotherapy. Adding methylcobalamin supplements regularly to your diet will also be helpful.
A nerve conduction test of the leg and foot will help in identifying any neural deficit. If there is no muscle wasting in the area then full recovery with appropriate physiotherapy is likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.