Having food indigestion. What to do?

Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Food indigestion and bloating can be caused my many factors like indigestion of particular food, antibiotic use, stomach infection, liver disorders, pancreas enzyme insufficiency, some medicines, etc.

The approach is usually one-step at a time.

Thus I usually advise lifestyle changes for some time like-
- Use of hygienic food and pure drinking water
- Take more of fruits and vegetables
- Take high fiber foods like high fiber biscuits, whole grains, etc

If the above measures are not working then the next step is to eliminate specific foods from the diet one by one, starting with milk and milk products. If it gets better by eliminating some food, that means the indigestion is for that food. Usually symptoms of diarrhea and weight loss are also present in such a condition.

If this does not work, then blood tests and consultation with a gastro-enterologist is usually required. Gastro-enterologist may recommend endoscopy to visualize the inside of stomach for any anatomical lesions.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee