Having fluttering sensation in legs. What is causing this?

fluttering sensation in legs
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 26 minutes later

Thanks for the query. Your query seems incomplete. But I shall try to provide you with some useful recommendations pertaining to your query.

By fluttering sensation in legs or muscle fluttering I assume are twitches - these may be due to benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), a condition in which there are involuntary twitches of various muscle groups, most commonly the legs but also the face, arms, eyes, and tongue. They are usually related to anxiety / stress, caffeine, and often occur after recent strenuous activity or muscle over-use. So it is important in such cases to reduce stress / anxiety levels and to reduce caffeine intake.

When BFS is suspected but not particularly bothersome or disabling, treatment is not necessary. However minimizing caffeine and stress, and treating anxiety (if it is present) will improve your symptoms.

In general, when fasciculation’s occur in the setting of associated symptoms such as progressive loss of sensation, tingling or numbness, weakness, and other symptoms, the cause may be due to a peripheral nervous system problem. If it is bothersome, I suggest you follow up with your primary doctor or a neurologist.

Further evaluation may include a study called Electromyograph (EMG) / neuropathy and for other causes of twitching.

Hope this suffices. Should you need any other information or if you have a specific query in mind, feel free to ask me. I will be glad to assist you further.