Having fluttering sensation in groin area with no pain. What could be causing this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a male and have fluttering in groin area right upper side, no pain and it started 3 days ago feels like a vibration
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 38 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.

The most likely and common causes for these are High levels of stress,anxiety,nervousness or excitement or anger,Low calcium or VIT D, Low sodium or potassium, Anaemia, Hypothyroidism, Low serum B12,Consumption of excess of alcohol or caffeine.

I would advise you to get tested for above mentioned causes,stop caffeine,do regular stress buster exercises like breathing exercises and yoga and taking good nutritious diet. Taking methylcobalamin supplements and electrolyte fluids will be helpful.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Having fluttering sensation in groin area with no pain. What could be causing this? 18 minutes later
I take vitamines and suppliments including calcium and vitamin B 12, I drink a minimum of 80 oz of water a day and work out 3-4 days a week at a gym, no cafeine and minamal alcohol and at this point in my life not under a lot of stress and I'm not an angry person. My concern is that it is not a blood flo problem that would effect my heart in any way, would not want a suprise heart attact!
Have an appt. with dr. but just wanted to make sure I was not going to drop dead before I see him LOL
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

It doesn't seems too serious or related to heart problem. So do not worry too much.Consult your doctor for examination, get these blood levels checked and appropriate action according to that.

Hope this will help you.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.