Having flu like symptoms, stomach pain, sweating. Diabetes under control. Had Malaria in the past. Are these symptoms due to the malaria relapse?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got Malaria while in the tropics over 40 years ago. I get bouts of it even now especially if under stress. Australian Dr's know the antibodies are there but don't treat it. what can I do? I suffer from rigors sweats flu like symptoms stomach pains not related to any other illness even familial Mediterranean fever has been checked for. I also have type 2 diabetes diet controlled.
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there,

I have read and understood your query.

Do you have fever, change in sleep pattern, body pain, headache, painful swellings around the neck?

Has your blood been tested and confirmed for the presence of Malaria?

Are you on any medication?

You have mentioned that you suffer from chronic fatigue since 30 years. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is known to cause all the problems you are experiencing. It usually results from past viral infection like Infectious mononucleosis or Mono, Lyme disease, thyroid problem, diabetes, alcohol consumption and also depression. Malaria may also cause CFS.

This is a chronic disorder which can be caused by the above mentioned and needs a thorough evaluation to find the cause of this problem.

There are various methods to help tide over the problems you are experiencing. Pacing, Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and certain medication like anti-depressants are very helpful in providing considerable relief. Pacing has been found as the best method till date for CFS. You will need to consult with a Physiotherapist and Psychiatrist for a multidisciplinary approach in managing your condition.

If Malaria or any of the above mentioned causes are detected, it can be treated and you may suffer less from this condition and experience quicker relief.

You need to consume a diet lower in carbohydrates, XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Exercise gradually daily for 20 minutes as per your physiotherapist's advise as this helps to tide over the disturbing symptoms of CFS. The Psychiatrist will perform CBT and also start you on certain medication for your sleep problem if that exists to encourage a better living.

Do have a talk with your Doctor and enquire about the various treatment options for CFS in your region which would work best for you.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.