Having flu. Having ache in legs. What can be done?

I have the flu for the 3rd time in 6 weeks. My legs ache terribly, what's up? What can I take?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Influenza results in headache, fever, chills, myalgia or muscle pain and generalized weakness. Usually the onset is abrupt. Most commonly it is associated with common cold. The temperature is high in the initial 24 hours and the fever may last for about a week. Respiratory symptoms often become more prominent as other symptoms subside.

In most people the symptoms resolve within 15 days but the lung symptoms may persist for several weeks. Influenza is caused by different stains of influenza virus. The usual sub types are A, B and C. Most common are A and B. You get the infection when your immune status is low. Your body produces antibodies for a particular type of virus it is exposed to. In case of re infection by a different strain these antibodies will be less effective.

There are many viruses and bacteria causing due to a different type of virus or if it is due to a different virus, then you will get the constitutional symptoms again. In case of bacterial infection, taking improper antibiotic or development of resistant organisms to the antibiotic that you have taken, can increase the chances for repeated infection is there.

Complete blood count, throat swab, sputum for culture, X-Ray chest will give an information about the severity of the condition. You should also rule out allergic causes. Suitable antibiotic will be necessary in case of bacterial infection. Drugs like Oseltamavir is needed in viral infections like influenza. Your treating Dr will know about these drugs.

Take vitamin C and zinc with vitamin B and calcium supplements. Zinc boosts up the immunity. Leg cramp may be relieved by diet XXXXXXX in potassium like banana, orange juice, sweet potatoes and raisins.

I hope this helps. Please address to if you have any other concerns.