Having flesh coloured bumps in pubic hair area. It is not itchy and not filled with pus. Could it be folliculitis?

Jul 2012

Hi, I have these little flesh coled bumps that form only in my pubic hair area and not on my vagina/ labia. I was worried they might be genital warts though they are so small I pinch them right off and they only bleed a wee bit and they do not grow back. However just as I get my period, the little bumps show up again in different areas around the pubic hair area. Mainly the front, right above where the lips form, and Ido shave the whole area, and I usually get about three. I went to my obgyn and she didnt think they were warts, but said it was most likely folliculitis and said there was nothing there to biopsy. Also, they don't hurt or itch and they never get bigger than a millimeter or so, but they dont have a hair in the center nor are they filled with pus. When i pinch it off it just looks like a little skin cell..solid not liquid. Would you please add your two sense?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thank you for such a detailed description of your problem.

I understand it is located in your suprapubic region & are flesh coloured solid bumps that recur. These could be a reaction pattern to ingrown hair (what is commonly known as pseudo-folliculitis). They do not need to have a hair follicle or pus in them and are not 'true' folliculitis. They may also be a result of a viral infection called molluscum contagiosum (that may resemble your condition) and as the name suggests are contagious.

Both will respond well to some topical peeling agent cream e.g. adapalene (used in acne lesions) &/or visit your local 'dermatologist' to have an electrocauterisation/cryotherapy (hot or cold destruction) of the lesions done for a 'definitive' cure if the cream does not do its job in around 2 weeks time.

Once again, it is a being problem & easily remedied.

I do hope this helps & my two-sense proves useful information. Let me know if you have further queries.

Regards & Good Luck
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD,
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Venereologist,
Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Having flesh coloured bumps in pubic hair area. It is not itchy and not filled with pus. Could it be folliculitis? 11 hours later
I'm still concerned they might be genital warts even though my doctor did not think they could be. My question for you is: is it typical for genital warts to come every menstrual cycle, or in other words, is it typical for a new set to appear every month, and if so is it possible to pinch them off the way I've been doing and not having much bleeding or scarring and not growing back in the same spot. And also I was wondering where genital warts typically form; the fact that these bumps never appear on the vagina, and only in places where hair rubs and there is friction do they appear, makes me feel like it might just be folliculitis, but I don't know.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.

Once again, I reiterate these lesions you describe and the relationship to the cycle’s et al do not conform to a wart like phenomenon. '

Having said that, I stress it is better for a visual confirmation of the same by your dermatologist.

Last but not the least, the treatment I have recommended vis-a-vis cauterisation of lesions is the same for benign lesions or for warts... dont dwell so much on genital warts unlesss there is some history of a partner with similar lesions or multiple partners & other high risk behaviour in the past - that is unclear at the moment & hence the fear of warts. ]

Once again, the treatment is the same... go for it through your local dermatologist (not gynecologist as the former will be in a better position to differentiate these lesions). Pseudofolliculitis as I mentioned earlier is the most likely cause & will resolve sans problems.

Cheers & hope this has answered your queries & pointed you in the right direction.
Follow-up: Having flesh coloured bumps in pubic hair area. It is not itchy and not filled with pus. Could it be folliculitis? 13 hours later
One more question, thank you so much for answering. When I scratch a bump off i find a little red blood vessel in it. Does this change anything?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 20 hours later
Hi there . Nope it does not change anything. This blood vessel is probably the supplying capillary & may be present in a variety of skin lesions. I would still prefer electrocauterisation under local anaesthesia to 'destroy' the lesion & rid it forever..'wart-ever' it may be ;-) cheers & good luck!~