Having fibromyalgia, depression and eye pain. Did some tests. What does the result says?

I'm having a horrible time with pain from fibromyalgia and depression. Also, I've stopped producing tears and am having severe eye pain. Today I got back a few test results that I was wanting some input on, want to know how they could be affecting me.
Vitamin d 25 Hydroxy result 20.4ng/ml (normal 30-100)
Prolactin result 23.8ng/ml (normal 4.8-23)
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin d 25 Hydroxy low, prolactine Ok.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Vitamin D Hyroxy results indicate levels lower than normal. This is one of the enzymes that helps in the reabsorption of Calcium into the body. It is produced at the level of the kidneys. I would suggest to measure the levels of Calcium in Blood and have kidney and liver function tests done, to know if there is a problem with the liver or not. This shall help in monitoring the treatment or altering drugs you are taking. Calcium supplementation can be required to compensate for the low levels at some point.

Prolactin Results just slightly above the upper limit is no problem. A difference of 0.8 is not clinically significant. It might useful however to get this test done again, after a couple of months.

Persistent pains from fibromyalgia and depression might require that another treatment approach be used and followed up. With such patients, I usually control their Erythrocyte sedimentation rate levels. If very high, I increase the dose of steroid therapy, monitor and tapper the dose to lower levels gradually as symptoms usually improve. Adding another Tricyciclic anti depressant to the treatment regimen could help. Exercise and physiotherapy are options to be thought of in case pain persists.

I do suggest you consult your doctor for a complete clinical review. A psychiatrist,s opinion with regards to depression care is a good idea at some point. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health. Feel free asking further questions if need be, I will glad to contribute to your good health.

Bain LE, MD