Having fibroids, painful menstrual cycles along with severe PMS. Should I go with abdominal hysterectomy?

I am considering per my OB/GYN to have a hysterectomy. I am 50 years old and have never had children. I have had 7 miscarriages over the years. I have been given a diagnosis of also having polycystic ovaries. My physician said that since I have not had any children that he would do an abdominal incision. I have fibroids and am having extremely painful menstrual cycles along with severe PMS. I asked that he take the ovaries since I have polycystic ovaries and he said that he would see how they look. I would rather that he go ahead and take everything and be finished. What is your suggestion. I know that I would probably need hormone replacement and if so, I am considering bio identical hormone replacement.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My opinion to leave ovaries if functional

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Based on your history and the information provided an abdominal hysterectomy would be a good option.

As for the ovaries, they serve as the sole source of hormone production which is a natural process. There can be nothing like the naturally produced hormones by the body, no replacement therapy can match what the body knows it wants and needs. The reason why most surgeons prefer leaving the ovaries behind is because many women do not achieve good results with symptoms, whereas, others recieve too high a dose (than compared to what is required), putting them at a high risk for the development of various cancers.

This is why doctors prefer leaving the ovaries behind to go about their natural function,instead of taking them out. You are only 50-years-old ma'am, which means you will have to be dependant on HRT for a longer period of time. In my opinion, if the ovaries are in good shape and can even function for the next 5 years well enough, it would be better to leave them behind.

I hope this information helpa clear your doubt ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

God bless.
Follow-up: Having fibroids, painful menstrual cycles along with severe PMS. Should I go with abdominal hysterectomy? 17 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer. I was just concerned about ovarian cancer and did not want to have a second surgery. God bless you as well.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need not worry ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am.

You are most welcome.

Ovarian cancer should not be an issue, but we should consider a possible surgery to remove the ovaries in the future, if the cysts grow large enough to render the ovary(s) useless. Till then, do not worry about anything.

Please do take care and keep in touch.

Best wishes.