Having fever with a temperature of 101. Taking advils. Suggestions?

I am inquiring about my daughter who is 58 years old. She has been running a fever off and on for several months and has been through a series of tests and they cannot find the problem. For the past two days she has this fever that is over a l01 and after taking a couple of advils, it goes away and then a few hours later it starts up again. She lives in San XXXXXXX and I advised her husband to take her to ER One thing her dr said, she would like to go to a Rhuemontolist (sp) and she does have an appt on Tuesday. Can can you offer some suggestions? Thank you Carole XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

The conditions which you daughter is known as "Pyrexia of unknown origin", and their various causes that may cause the fever so further investigation is needed to see what is going on.

here is the list of few cause that may cause the spikes in fever as you mentioned.
1) human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
2) numerous rheumatic diseases (eg, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis [JRA], rheumatoid arthritis [RA])

The number of rheumatic diseases mentioned above are the prime suspicion since all the test result came normal so you need to consult RHEUMATOLOGIST which deals will all the cause mentioned in (2).

So you are guided in the right track.

Thanks for the query. Please feel free to contact me incase of any further concerns.

Follow-up: Having fever with a temperature of 101. Taking advils. Suggestions? 3 hours later
Thank you for the information. My daughter was tested for hiv and it was negative and she will see the Rheumatologist this Tuesday. I hope all is well with her Thank you Carole XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 45 minutes later

Welcome back, thanks for the information.

Please feel free to discuss any other concern/ doubt.

I hope too she will be all well.

Thanks again.