Having fever, given paracetamol. Experiences chills and back pain with low BP. Advise?

My wife is having a fever for the past one day and I have been giving her Paracetamol 650mg with an interval of 7hrs. Approximately every 7th hour she experience chills with no temperature. And after half an hour temperature rises. She is having severe back pain and slight pain around the eyes. She vomited couple of times, but does not have any symptoms of cold or diarrhea. She is having a very low BP too. I am planning to take her to the doctor tomorrow morning, but please suggest any thing that would be helpful. Also, would a blood test result help the doctor better? If so, what tests should she take?
Thank you!
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

I can feel your concerns.

These may be the symptoms of malaria or dengue fever .
You should get a
Complete blood count
Malarial parasite smear
Dengue serology test done.

The main stay of treatment is good hydration , drink more and more water it will not only wash the bug out but also improve the blood pressure.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Having fever, given paracetamol. Experiences chills and back pain with low BP. Advise? 10 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX

Today morning she had loose motion three times. We took the lab test (excluding dengue). The results are as follows :
Haemoglobin (Colorimetry) 11.6 gm/dl
Total WBC 5600/
Neutrophils 87%
Lymphocytes 9%
Eosinophils 2%
Monocytes 2%
Basophils 0%
Total RBC 3.57 millions/cumm
Total Platelet Count 1.27 lakhs/cumm
ESR 12mm/hr
Malaria antigen (Card Method) Negative

Showed her to a doctor who has diagnosed it as viral fever. He has prescribed Ofler OZ, Nerobion, Domstal 10mg, Meftal 500mg, Veloz 20mg and ORS. HE has asked to wait for 2 more days before doing the dengue test.

Please provide your suggestions too.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 6 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query

I do agree with these medication , it seems to be a viral infection.
Dengue test by ELISA method is positive on 4th day of fever that's why he had not done it now.

For this viral infection , give her plenty of water to drink and maintain good hygienic conditions. Always use boiled and filtered water.

You can continue with these medications.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health