Having fever and loose motions. Taken dolo 650. Looking for suggestion

I am having fever (102) with loose motions since this morning. Fever has been consistent around the same level, except when I consumed one Dolo 650 and it came down to 99.7 for a short while. Loose motions twice - morning and after lunch
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 48 minutes later
You are describing symptoms of an acute gastroenteritis, which is an infection of your bowels. Most of these infections are caused by viruses, and are self limited. Recommendations are to drink plenty of fluid (water, gatorade or other electrolyte solutions; avoid sodas) to keep yourself hydrated, and take anti-diarrheals as needed.
There is a possibility that you have a bacterial infection and not a virus, for which antibiotics such as ofloxacin can help, however most bacterial gastroenteritis cause some degree of blood in the stool. Taking antibiotics is most likely unnessary in your case since it just started this morning and you don't describe any blood in stool. If you don't improve after 24-48 hours then it can be reconsidered. Continue taking acetaminophen for the fever as needed, and take loperamide as needed for the diarrhea.
Keep in mind that also food poisoning can also cause abrupt diarrhea and fever, and is also usually self limited.
Hope that helps, let me know if there are any other concerns.
Best regards,
Follow-up: Having fever and loose motions. Taken dolo 650. Looking for suggestion 4 minutes later
If it is food poisoning, then also, should I take the same medicine? And yes there is no blood in stool.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
food poisoning does not need antibiotics. Just symptomatic treatment with acetaminophen and antidiarrheals (such as loperamide, lomotil, etc). If it is indeed food poisoning you can expect to get better fairly quick (within 24 hours usually).
I hope you get better. Best regards,